Friday, February 11, 2011

The Overseas Mom: Homemade Baby Food


So today was the day.

Noah was 5 1/2 months old and it was time to start solids. A few days before I knew this adventure was going to begin I decided I'd better scope out the different kinds of baby foods and price them out. When I had finished my investigating I was pretty shocked. First of all, I realized I could not read anything on the labels so I had no idea what ingredients were actually in the jar. And then I could not believe a single jar of baby food was around 128 yen plus ($1.50 each).


Now on a missionary/teacher budget that was going to be hard. This is when I decided that I would make all of Noah's food. I was pretty overwhelmed at first with this task. It stressed me out that I was going to have to make two sets of food for our family every day. But after careful research, I realized it wasn't going to be nearly as hard of a task as I thought it would be. In fact, after I found out about homemade baby food cubes things were even easier! I wanted to share with you one homemade food and the recipe for it for each month that Noah has been enjoying since we jumped into the world of solids:

5 Months- Homemade Baby Rice Cereal
6 Months- Crock Pot Apple Sauce
7 Months-Oatmeal Cereal
8 Months- Pumpkin Yogurt (Although I used squash)
9 Months- Red, White and Yellow Saute (Puree before 10 months)
10 Months- Sweet Potato Pancakes
11 Months- Tofu Nuggets

I know I am writing this as an overseas mom but really and truly any mom can do it and I am pretty sure it will save you money no matter where you live (I think).

Want more info? A very helpful website for homemade baby food is Wholesome Baby Food. If you want to purchase a book in case you will be in a country that does not have Internet, I think the best one is Super Baby Food. I loved this book!


Does any mom reading this have any baby food tips they want to share? Any new moms have any questions about the homemade baby food process?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment:

  1. I made pretty much all of Aiden's baby food after we passed the first few weeks with the organic baby food we were getting (too pricey!). We had so much fun ~ it was a great experience and very healthy for him. Sunday afternoons were 'baby food production' - the whole kitchen would be up and running. Once he was a little bigger we introduced small grains & pastas too. I would give "homemade baby food" a HUGE thumbs up too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave A Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...